Try this recipe! It’s great!
Another “Man Muscle”; most guys want to develop a nice set of arms for the ladies. However apart from just making you look good, these muscles have their practical uses. The Biceps brachii is the muscle located on the upper arm. Its primary function is the rotation of the forearm and flexing of the elbow. Simply put, it’s used for lifting things and carrying them around with your arms.
To effectively work the Biceps, these are some of the most common and effective exercises:
1. Barbell curl (everyone knows this one) – 4 sets
2. Dumbbell curls – 4 sets
3. Preacher curls. 4 sets
4. Hammer curls – 4 sets
This piece of the anatomy is one that does not get as much attention as it deserves. A lot of men want to increase the size of their arms, and train their biceps endlessly, and they don’t seem to realize that the triceps make up two-thirds of the mass in the arms. They are literally the foundation on which the biceps lie. Apart from this, their function in the human body is highly important. The triceps brachii are located on the back of the upper arm; they control the outward extension of the arms, and provide, in conjunction with the chest, most of the pushing power in the upper body. Ladies, you want those toned arms? Then you should target those triceps. And what better way than with these workouts:
1. Dips: 4 sets.
2. Triceps extensions: 4 sets
3. Triceps pull-downs: 4 sets, same format
4. Lying triceps extensions – 4 sets
This exercise can be performed with a barbell or dumbbells
Working out is a bit more complex than just walking into a gym, throwing some weights around and taking a jog before leaving (well, it kind of is…). There are several things to consider before you even step into a gym; most importantly, your goals. There are several training methods geared at getting different results; many a workout program is created with a specific goal- strength, speed, endurance, power, the list goes on.
However, most people don’t want to win Olympic medals – they just want to keep fit, or look good. No matter your goal, a complete workout is like a balanced diet: and should be comprised of the following elements:
• Strength conditioning
• Cardiovascular conditioning
We will be focusing on strength training for now.
This involves the use of resistance against the muscles with the aim of building muscular strength. This often involves weight training, but several body-weight exercises are equally efficient, eliminating the need to use weights. The benefits of strength training include an increase in overall strength, resistance to injury, and improved joint function. Each muscle in the body has various exercises that effectively challenge it; workouts with weights, and workouts without them. Here are some of my favourites.
The Chest muscles, known as Pectorals to the anatomically savvy, are two of the major “man muscles”, and one of the most desired aesthetics on a man’s physique. What do most guys do when they step into a gym for the first time? That’s right; they want to find a way to get a bigger chest. It draws the ladies, and intimidates other men. What more could a guy ask for? Now apart from being a chick magnet, the pectorals are necessary for providing most of the pushing force in the upper body, and for the inward swinging of the arms. Developing the pectorals is not only for the men; women can enjoy the benefits of a firmer and tighter upper body if they pay attention to this body part, especially since chest exercises incorporate the triceps as a secondary muscle . The workouts that really zero-in on these muscles are:
1. Flat Bench press: 4 sets
The bench press is a very versatile exercise in that the bench can be inclined or declined (raised or lowered) several degrees to add variety to the exercise. The Incline and Decline Bench press movements are often considered separate workouts for the chest. Also, in place of using barbells for your bench press, you can use dumbbells. This allows you to incorporate more stabilizer muscles, such as the biceps, forearms and back and also add diversity to your workout sessions.
Are you low in iron?
Causes and Risk Factors of Iron Deficiency
About 10% of women are deficient in iron.
People become iron deficient for a variety of reasons:
• Some women menstruate so heavily that they may also need supplements to replace iron .
• People on restrictive diets may not consume enough iron rich foods.
• Pregnancy: It is advised that pregnant women should take iron supplements to nourish their developing babies and also to prevent against anemia.
Symptoms of Iron Deficiency
Anemia can cause symptoms of feeling easily fatigued, rapid heart beats, palpitations.
Severe iron deficiency can cause skin texture to change and mucosal changes and it can also cause brittle nails.
Some iron deficient people show signs of developing pica, an unusual craving for specific foods (ice cubes, lettuce, etc.) often not rich in iron.
Treatment of Iron Deficiency
The standard treatment is ferrous sulfate, 325 mg taken three times daily. It is hard on the stomach so patients can take with food if necessary.
Talk to your doctor about iron deficiency because it can be corrected easily.
An aspirin a day can reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke in some patients. This therapy has been shown to be life saving for many, but it is not for everyone because an aspirin a day can also be dangerous when not recommended. Too much aspirin can cause serious side effects like internal bleeding.
However for those who aspirin therapy is indicated this tiny little pill can be the difference between life long damage (i.e stroke) and a happy healthy life. Aspirin is known as a blood thinner, it interferes with your body’s clotting action and stops blood clots from forming. This can be especially helpful in patients with narrow arteries due to plaque formed on the arteries. Plaque is the buildup of fatty deposits in your arteries. If, a blood clot forms and blocks the artery, then blood is prevented from flowing to the heart or brain and this can cause a heart attack or stroke. Aspirin therapy reduces risk of this happening thereby reducing the risk of heart attack or stroke.
If you have the following risk factors then talk to your doctor and see if aspirin therapy might be a good fit for you.
You are a cigarette or cigar smoker
You have high blood pressure — a systolic pressure of 140 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher or a diastolic pressure of 90 mm Hg or higher
Your total cholesterol level is 240 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) — 6.22 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) — or higher
Your low-density lipoprotein (“bad”) cholesterol level is130 mg/dL (3.37 mmol/L) or higher
You don’t exercise regularly
You have diabetes
You have a high stress lifestyle
You have more than two alcoholic drinks a day for men, one drink a day for women
You have a family history of a stroke or heart attack.
If this sounds like you, please discuss with your doctor, so you can be empowered to protect your heart. Also be sure to check out Emzor’s aspirin product, Emprin.
Emzor Pharmaceutical Industries Limited commissioned her customer care service unit on the 1st of March; 2010.This is the first of its kind in the pharmaceutical industry in Nigeria. Emzor as usual is blazing the trail and sparking an industry revolution in delivering value to the customer on all fronts, in line with her theme for 2010- Above and beyond the call of duty.
Emzor as a customer-centric organization launched the first E1 link line in Nigeria pharma industry. The E1 line is a line split into over 29 multiple lines on which customers can call Emzor round the clock to have their needs satisfied and their queries answered. The E1 line works with a queque matrix software that enables all customer calls to be taken as soon as there is a free agent. The software allows for all customer details and queries to be catalogued and retrievable for all intents and purposes.
The commissioning was done by the group managing director and chief executive officer -Mrs. Stella Okoli, who thanked God for the achievements so far and commended the Emzor team headed by the Deputy managing director Pharm.Onyeka Onyeibor and the Executive director -Pharm Nkiru Okoro for the great job and reiterated the commitment of Emzor to the delivery of unlimited wellness to all.
She then proceeded to make the first call using the newly installed line to several customers. The line has since become fully operational.
Customer service care line -01-8105555
Be kind, it will make you healthier.
There is evidence to suggest that being kind to others can improve your health. Random acts of kindness can have very real physical and mental health benefits. Other than the social benefits of being well regarded as a decent person, being kind can have specific physiologic responses in our body.
•Endorphin rush: When we work out, or eat chocolate or generally experience pleasurable moments. Doing good or being kind can also cause the body to release endorphins and therefore experience a feeling of euphoria.
•Reduces stress: Helping others can overturn feelings of depression, hostility and isolation, it can also decrease the likelihood of experiencing stress.
•Recurring benefits – Acts of kindness, are often remembered by yourself or others and when this memory is relived, the health benefits are also relived in the body. Sometimes this wellbeing can last even for days.
•Emotional strength – Helping others can create feelings of emotional resilience, increased vigor and optimism.
•Social connections – When social reactions are more positive than not, the immune system is strengthened.
References from the Niagara Wellness Council.
Note however that excessive skipping can cause injury to your ankles as they carry most of the body weight when you skip.
There are different forms of skipping. Some people do the jump type, while some do the running on a spot type. The jump type of skipping helps burn more calories, but both types are still good.
For people skipping to lose weight, I usually advice them to skip morning and evening if they can, or at least every morning.
For beginners, you could start with hundred skips daily, and gradually increase it to five hundred as the days progress.
Please do not over stress your body. For girls, after every fifty cycles of skipping, you should take a one minute break! Same for the elderly.
Ensure that you skip on a flat level surface, ensure your back is straight, inhale and exhale through the nose and ensure your mouth is kept shut while skipping.
Trust me, if you start skipping daily and unfailingly, you see results in weeks! However remember that you must eat right!
10 Things To Know About Pap Smears
1. A Pap smear is a procedure done at a doctor’s office, clinic or hospital to test for abnormal cells that can become cervical cancer in women. It is performed on women between the ages of 21 to 30 and involves collecting cells from around the cervix
2. In women over 30, the Pap smear may be combined with a test for human papillomavirus (HPV) — a common sexually transmitted infection that causes cervical cancer.
3. If you continually have negative Pap smear results after age 30, your doctor may decide to do the test less often.
4. Women who have had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) or who are over 65 years old and have had 3 consecutive negative test results may stop getting Pap smears.
5. If you are a virgin, you don’t need a Pap smear. However getting a Pap smear will not cause you to lose your virginity.
6. Avoid intercourse, douching (google it ladies) or using any vaginal medicines or spermicidal foams, creams or jellies for two days before having a Pap smear, as these may wash away or obscure abnormal cells.
7. Try not to schedule a Pap smear during your menstrual period. Although the test can be done, it’s best to avoid this time of your cycle
8. Any woman who has had sex, even with just one partner, could have HPV and not even know it. HPV is a very common virus. About eight out of 10 women will carry HPV at some point in time by the age of 50.
9. The exam itself is a bit uncomfortable and a lot of women dread it – yikes – but cancer is an even bigger dread!!
10. The test results are usually back in a few days and your doctor will call if results are positive or obscure. If this happens, s/he performs a cervical biopsy to figure out the extent of abnormal cell growth and invasion.
Gardasil is a vaccine available for young girls (9-26 years old) who have never been sexually active to prevent getting the HPV virus. Ask your doctor more about this vaccine.
Image via Mayoclinic
There may not be a more common phrase said in Nigeria than God dey. It is a common refrain found in the every man’s conversation. It symbolizes hope irrespective of the current circumstances. It may seems cliché to say, God dey, however there is evidence to suggest that the assertion of God dey and the faith and hope in a better tomorrow can actually have tangible health benefits.
The Mayo clinic in the US recently came out with a report showing a correlation between hopeful thinking and reduced stress. Researchers found that people who had hopeful outlooks and thought positively had better responses to stressful situations, which in turn reduces the negative effects of stress on the body. In general, people who are more hopeful experience better overall health and live longer. They also tend to have lower incidences of cardiovascular disease and depression.
How can you become more hopeful?
1. Pray, meditate or reflect: Regardless of one’s religious beliefs there is evidence that taking the time to be reflective and connecting with one’s inner self or with one’s deity can be beneficial to our physical selves.
2. Count your blessings: Taking stock of the good things that have happened in your life can impact your perception of life. When you recognize that in your life there has been plenty of good, it helps you be optimistic about the future.
3. Find the right birds: Birds of a feather, flock together. If you continue to associate with people who are negative and pessimistic about life, they will not only skew your life view, but they will deplete you of whatever positive energy you carry within.
4. Filter your news: If you listen to every bad story that comes through, it will make it difficult to maintain a hopeful outlook. Bad things happen everyday, this is true, however, good things happen also. Try to make sure your news is balanced.
5. Be good to yourself: Exercise, eat right, laugh and enjoy the company of people that you love and that are loving. This alone is a necessary ingredient for a healthy life.
6. Be good to others. When you are kind and compassionate and wishing others well, it makes it is easy to believe that others are doing the same. If you are wishing for your enemies to die, then it can make it difficult to conceptualize a world where death doesn’t surround you on every side.
7. Practice the art of acceptance: Recognize that just as the earth experiences moments of rain and sunshine alternately, every life has its dark moments and given time, this too shall pass. A wise person once said without pain to hollow out our hearts, we would not have room for joy. Consider joy and pain as both sides of the same coin and take things in stride.